Saturday, August 2, 2008

CAN U CANOE?

Last weekend on July 27 I went on my first canoe paddling adventure. I had fun but it was harder to paddle than I thought it would be. I will do it again in September. There's no canoeing in August because of the big canoe races at the end of the month. My mom went with me on the canoe. She helped paddle too.




It was pretty hot that day and sitting in the canoe before we got in the water was very hot. They had to pour water on the seat because it was too hot to sit on.

Before we got going I thought the boat might tip over out in the water but it didn't because it had things on the sides called outriggers to keep it from tipping over.




I have never paddled a boat before and it was a lot harder than it looked. I almost lost the paddle a few times. When I was paddling my right arm got hurt from the paddle. But it wasn't bad. We went out to around the King's buoy and back. We didn't get to see any dolphins that day. I thought there was a shark in the ocean, but there wasn't. LOL. The ocean was very calm, which I like cause I get scared when the ocean is rough.

Brian and the other volunteers from the Mokuaikaua Church were very friendly and helpful. It's very nice of the church to have this program for disabled people. God bless you.

4 comments:

Jay & Amy said...

That looks like a fun trip Rebecca. I enjoyed reading about it and looking at your pictures. I've never taken a canoe out before....just a kayak. It's looks like you're having a summer full of adventure. Keep up the good work! Love, Amy

Debbie said...

Fantastic Job Rebecca!!! I have only been canoeing once and it was in a river and me and Kim tipped the canoe over I lost my paddle . The canoe guide had to swim down stream to rescue it and then dive under a fallen tree to get it where it had become lodged. So I happen to know just how hard paddling can be. I am very proud that you are trying this and hope you keep it up. It's a great activity for you and you can meet a lot of friends. The church sounds very nice. But watch out for those hot seats!!! love ya

Debbie said...

Hi Rebecca, Haven't heard from you in awhile and just wanted to say Hello. Are you ready to take your trip to to San Diego yet. Talk to you later. love ya

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.