Sunday, June 29, 2008

MY FIRST ROAD RACE


(Video of me at the start of the race)

Today my dad and I were in the Kona Marathon. My dad ran 26.2 miles. I used my wheelchair and did the 5K. That is 3.1 miles.

The race was very hard for me to push myself up the hills. I got very hot. When I finished, I got a medal. I kind of had a fun race. My mom walked with me during the race. A lot of people clapped for me and told me good job and gave me high fives.

Since I am deaf and couldn't hear, my mom said a lot of people honked at me and told me good job and said "you go girl". I saw a lot of people in cars wave at me. Everybody was very nice. I saw Bree Wee and she took a picture of me. A man from the newspaper took a picture of me too. His name is Baron and he is a friend of my dad.

My mom and I met a man from Ashland Oregon where we used to live. He is a school teacher and knows my old middle school teacher and some other people that we knew when we lived there.

The race made me tired and I don't know if I want to do it next year.

(Top photo is of me racing in my first road race. The other photo is me and my finisher's medal)

13 comments:

Karen said...

Good job Rebecca. I am so proud of you. You did such a great job. I had a lot of fun walking with you.

Keep lifting weights and practicing in your wheelchair and it will be a lot easier next year.

Love Mom

Jay & Amy said...

Great Job Rebecca! I enjoyed looking at your pictures and watching your video. It looked like a lot of hard work. I'm very proud of you!!! Love, Amy

Debbie said...

Rebecca ,WOW!!! You did it. Your video was so fun to watch. You looked great, I think you should definetly do it next year, you will be so strong by then you'll probably want to do it twice. LOL. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Randy said...

Yay Rebecca! You are a hero to everyone who knows you did this race. I am proud to be your father. Next year you can do the marathon and I'll do the 5k. Love dad

Fish has Legs said...

Yay! Congratulations...you did awesome! Congrats on your first Kona race...more to come, right?

Brooke Myers said...

You should be so incredibly proud of yourself...
It's tough and you did it with a great big smile.

I started to hurt quite bad towards magic sands and then I saw your face, your stregnth, your motivation to race. Instantly my inside complaints and look upon my face turned around into a big smile. Seeing you gave me all the energy I needed to finish my race, so I thank you for sharing your smile and stregnth with me even if you may not have known it...

Congratulations to you and yes keep training and building more stregnth as I would love to see you out there again next year...

BreeWee said...

You were beautiful out there... I have a couple photos of you... I need your email to send them to you...

:) said...

Awesome race, Rebecca!!!

Marit C-L said...

I just found your blog through Brees... CONGRATULATIONS! The race is awesome - I think you are absoluteley amazing! Your pictures are beautiful, and I especially LOVE the turtles. I am a huge fan of turtles... :)

Keep up the GREAT work - I'll be cheering you on from Florida!

Debbie said...

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY REBECCA. HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A FUN DAY. WE HAD REALLY PRETTY FIREWORKS IN ALBANY TONIGHT OVER THE WILLAMETTE RIVER. WE WALKED TO THE TOP OF THE BRIDGE. IT WAS FUN.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!!

Great race!!!

Phil. 4:13

Debbie said...

Hi Rebecca, I just read your Dad's post about you doing paddling with the Mokuaikaua Church. I hope you do. This will be such a great Challenge for you. It will be a lot of fun too. Keep us posted!!! Love ya : )

Debbie said...

Hey Rebecca, I hope you try paddleing and love it. What a great way to meet people. plus you will get so fit from all the hard work. You could probalby paddle to Oregon for a visit LOL.